Single vs. Relationship

Natasa Dobras, Staff Writer

As Valentine’s Day approaches, the population is torn apart into two main categories: single, and relationship. Those who are in a relationship will most likely spend the holiday with a loved one showering each other with gifts, while the other side will most likely be sitting at home watching romance movies and mocking the story line. The question is, how are the sides related, and which side is better?

First of all, the perk of being single on Valentine’s Day is the fact you most likely won’t find the need to spend your money on fluffy stuffed animals, roses with prickly thorns, or abnormally large chocolate boxes. That money can be saved and used to buy a pint (or a gallon) of ice cream that will accompany you on the dreaded holiday.

Next, on the night of valentine’s day there is no pressure to dress up or look cute, since you won’t be seeing anyone special. Instead, you can just throw on your favorite pair of sweatpants and an old t-shirt. Ideally, you want to surround yourself in a comfortable environment.

Finally, you can indulge in watching those cheesy love films while stalking couples on social media who are having the time of their life. Although the night can be full of bitter attitudes, the holiday is temporary.

However, what about the relationship side? If you are someone who is lucky enough to be in a relationship during Valentine’s Day you will most likely enjoy the holiday.

Unfortunately, being in a relationship means you will have to spend some money on your partner. You can either buy your special someone a personalized theme gift, or one of the various valentine themed gifts available at nearly every store. The purpose of buying a gift for someone is to express your love for them through a cheesy present.

On the night of Valentine’s Day, the couples will often plan a special date. This date usually includes a dinner at a nice restaurant, or a movie date. The difference between being at home on Valentine’s day and going out on a date is you will actually have to put in effort to your appearance. This means hours doing your hair or makeup, or even picking out the perfect outfit.

Overall, the categories of people are completely unrelated to each other. Your perspective on Valentine’s Day probably depends on which category you fall into.