Saying goodbye to Riverdance

At 7:30 on the evenings of February 8, 9, and 10, Riverdance performed in the Amarillo Civic Center.  It was part of their final tour after performing worldwide for 15 years. The Boyne Cast, who toured Canada and the U.S. in 2009 and 2010, made a pit stop in Amarillo and will continue touring the U.S. until June.

The performance starts out with a celebration to the sun and the elements.  It then follows their journey for finding themselves in the world.  It shows the progression of their ancestors and the beauty of their dance and rituals.  Every move symbolizes a celebration of their past.

Both of us much preferred the dancing over the singing.  The singing wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t as interesting.  It started out beautifully, but then we kind of lost interest after the third or fourth performance.

The band was very good and extremely talented.  It consisted of an extensive drum set, a fiddle, a soprano saxophone, and two other unidentifiable Irish instruments.  The band was knowledgeable and passionate about their music.  They were overall quite entertaining.

We give this show an A and definitely recommend it for all ages to see.