Rapper faces the music for his lyrics

In this day and age, new music is accessible right under your fingertips.  With this kind of power vested in those who want to listen and those who want to post their music, someone is bound to abuse it.  Sure enough, someone did. 

A viral video of DeAndre Cortez Way’s (A.K.A. Soulja Boy) newest song was submitted on Sept. 5.  This song had highly controversial lyrics. It included vulgarity when criticizing the F.B.I. and U.S. Troops.  “…fighting for what? Be a real man.  I’ll be flying through the sky in green like Peter Pan,” were his lyrics.  His agents attempted to delete all evidence from the Internet. Way vows to never release it for purchase, but he is still releasing his album, “Skate Boy” in Nov. 1 2011.

Former military soldier, Fred Florez demanded an apology from the rapper.  He also said that “It’s very offensive statement.”  The timing of this posting didn’t help his case.  Six days before the 10th anniversary of Sept.  11, most people were commemorating the lives lost and those who tried to save others.  Way was spouting off offensive aspersions about those lives instead.  There’s no question that the ironically named Soulja Boy ignited an inflammatory wave of indignation.

“My cousins are fighting for his life, and he’s wasting it on being a jerk.” Freshman, Crystal Salinas said.

After the reaction he received, Way decided to apologize for his actions.

“As an artist, I let my words get the best of me,” Way said. “Sometimes my words come out wrong.  I was just frustrated that we haven’t been able to bring [the Troops] home soon enough.”

To some people, his reason seemed weak and illegitimate, Geography teacher, Jan Weston, said the real purpose was to desperately get attention. 

“He’s just [coming up with all] of those excuses to get out of hot water,” junior Berklee Muir said. 

So far, Way hasn’t faced any other consequences.  Freshman, Jessica Longoria said what he did “wasn’t illegal.”

“He should be prosecuted and put into jail,” freshman Breanna Prichard said. “People need to face the consequences for what they say.”

His first amendment rights may keep him from facing jail time, but Weston said “without those soldiers and Marines who died Soulja Boy would have no first amendment rights.”

“Soulja Boys disses the very men and women whose name he uses,” Weston said. “Far be it from me to understand the brain activity of a rapper.  So go ahead Soulja Boy, try singing your profane lyrics in Iran or Saudi Arabia.  You wouldn’t, of course.  Instead, you’d hide behind the courage of real men who put their lives on the line so we don’t have to.  Real men allow you to act and sound as foolish as you want.”

As American of the 19th century writer and commentator, Elmer Davis said, “The republic was not established by cowards; and cowards will not preserve it. This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.”