‘Bridesmaids’ film big hit with viewers

The film “Bridesmaids” released May 13, 2011, directed by Paul Feig and written by actresses Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumolo, captures the hilarious and fun story of an extraordinary battle between a maid of honor and a bridesmaid, over who is truly the bride’s best friend.

The movie begins as a Annie, an out of work pastry chef played by actress Kristen Wiig, learns that her best friend, Lillian, played by actress Maya Rudolph, is getting married and wants her to be the maid of honor. As the wedding process begins to follow through, the other bridesmaids are introduced including actresses Melissa Mcarthy as Megan, Ellie Kemper as Becca, Wendi Mclendon-Covey as Rita and Rose Byrne as the notorious Helen, Annie’s ultimate nemesis. The storyline speeds up and the battle intensifies as numerous events occur to make Helen appear to be the prime maid of honor over poor Annie until Lillian finally throws Annie out of the seat to be replaced by Helen.

A favorite scene is the rather ludicrous and embarrassing event that ended up being the final straw for Annie and her maid of honor antics. After Annie suggested a sort of sketchy Indian restaurant for dinner before bridesmaid dress shopping the idea seemed to be pretty good. After all, what’s so bad about trying new things? After walking into a sophisticated, high class, dress shop after dinner, of which Helen knew the owner of course, things took a turn for the worse. Sweat began to seep from the womans’ faces and stomachs began to rumble and there was only one word for it: food poisoning. This was the worst place for it too, for there was only one bathroom, one bride and five bridesmaids. Becca went for the toilet and Megan took a turn for the sink. The bride however, took it to the streets. This scene was hilariously funny and represented a situation that we all could probably find ourselves in one day.

The comedy runs 125 minutes and definitely worth the money to watch or buy for oneself or a family member. However, a “Bridesmaids” movie night should definitely not include the kids as it is rated R for some strong sexuality and strong language. Besides these features, the movie includes strong comical features and is a movie that one can actually laugh at and relate too. Because of this, the movie gets 8 out of 10.