Music festivals rise in popularity

With the music industry constantly expanding, new artists are always faced with the challenge of selling their music to the public. Another challenge is establishing a solid fan base to enjoy that music. Fortunately for the bands just rising up on the scene, there are more than just Facebook pages and opening shows to air out the fresh material. In recent years, the popularity increase of music festivals has helped loads of upcoming artists get recognized by larger crowds.

These events, however, are not limited to providing musicians with positive exposure. As a matter of fact, a common theme throughout the majority of them is that; it’s all about the fans. The masses of eager music lovers attending these festivities have fun watching their favorite entertainers perform live, all the while discovering new ones and sometimes interacting with them.

Waterloo Park in Austin, TX will host the Funfunfun Fest on November 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Referred to as “one of the most relaxed and creative” festivals around, Funfunfun draws attention to strictly indie/underground musicians and comedians. Its virtually “anything goes” vibe appeals to daytime party animals of all ages. A mechanical bull, an Anarchy Championship Wrestling ring, bike and skateboard ramps, bungee jumping and a vintage arcade are among the many highlights of this festival. From musicians performing off stage to fans dancing on stage, involvement is another unique aspect to this free spirit doused blowout.

Designed for the night-owls, the Nocturnal Wonderland festival is a feast of electronic, dub step, and techno beats and will be held April 27th and 28th in Rockdale, TX. Unlike most all-day events, the Nocturnal Fest is open from 4 p.m. until 4 a.m. Heavily bass infested rhythms and colossal neon masterpieces of décor meet with fireworks, and acts of stilt walking, trapeze ballet and fire twirling to create a true “Wonderland” atmosphere. Glow sticks, black light paint and any other rave gear is more than welcome here. Sorry kids, the party is only open to those 18 years and older.

Fortunately, the Austin City Limits festival is an all ages event that makes up for that lack of family fun with a specified area for young children. Other stations include the Waterloo Records tent, where daily autograph sessions are held, Rock Island Hideaway, specifically created with NFL and college football fans in mind, the Dell Lounge, where festival-goers can plug up and charge their devices, game on an Xbox, and take pictures in a photo booth and much more. As far as music goes, the lineup for this festival focuses a little less on the underground bands. Acts from previous years have ranged everywhere from Stevie Wonder, Kanye West, Coldplay, Cee Lo Green, DeadMau5 and Foster the People. Like its name suggests, Austin City Limits will be held in Austin, TX from October 12-14.