Off to see the Wizard

Abigail Hurtt, Staff Writer

The Randall High School fine arts program will perform the Wizard of Oz on Nov. 10, 12, and 13. Tickets for students are $5 in advance and $10 at the door.

Join Dorothy and her friends as they embark on a journey down the yellow brick road. Randall students have been hard at work on this production since the beginning of September, rehearsing between 3 and 4 times a week. Dorothy is played by senior Kaycee Cross, Scarecrow is played by senior Evan Pollreisz, Lion is played by senior Bailey Chapman, and Tinman is played by junior Zane Wells. If you would like to purchase a ticket to see the Wizard of Oz, you can get one from any productions member for $5.

“The Wizard of Oz is such an extravagant experience,” said senior Chloe Escamilla, who plays the Wicked Witch of the West. “It’s so different to communicate and be different with the physicality of a witch.”

What many people don’t know is the amount of work and time spent putting on a musical. It can be a long and tedious process, especially with such a large number of people

“The amount of work ethic is astonishing and having to deal with so many people in the musical itself is different for me,” Chloe said.  “It makes me have to get out of my comfort zone of just a five person cast and get into a 100 person cast.”

A musical is more complex than just a regular play, considering all of musical numbers. Instead of just memorizing lines, you are also expected to memorize songs and choreography.

“The most challenging thing about putting on a musical is having to learn all the musical numbers and the dances,” said senior Bailey Chapman, who plays the lion. “For my character, I had to find courage within myself.”

The Wizard of Oz is a family friendly show that everyone from toddlers to adults will enjoy.

“People should come see the show because it’s a very creative production and tugs at people’s heartstrings,” said sophomore Katie Sandifer who plays the munchkin mayor. “It’s really just a great show to go see.”