Filed under Books

The Night Circus

Erin Morgenstern’s debut novel, “The Night Circus”, is a suspenseful tale of love and mystery. The Night Circus or Le Cirque de Rêves appears with no warning, opening only at night. The circus is a maze of black and white tents filled with performers and oddities. But, in the background the circus acts as a playing field for Celia Bowen and Marco Alisdair after they are thrown into a fierce competition by their mentors. Celia and Marco are groomed from a young age for a game they know little to nothing about and soon find themselves employed in the circus. Their illusions create a unique experience and bring fame to the circus as it travels but things begin to turn when Celia finds out her who her opponent is and they find themselves dropping into a magical love. Yet, this turn of events does not stop the game. It must play out and someone has to win.

This novel’s a brilliant balance of mystery and romance as well as its well-developed unexpected plot sends your heart racing and makes it incredibly difficult to put down. The suspense builds throughout the book as you’re left with cliffhangers at the end of chapters. “The Night Circus” is filled with breathtaking descriptions and an epic, unforgettable story that undeniably deserves four stars.

Originally published September 13, 2011 by Doubleday publishing company Erin Morgenstern’s fantasy novel is 387 pages.