Student finds passion in art of dance

Student finds passion in art of dance

She tugs at her sequined leotard as she stands in front of the mirror. Bending forward, she touches up her foundation and tucks a strand of long brown hair back in place. She takes a deep breath, knowing that in just a few short moments, all that she’s been working for is about to pay off because she will finally able to show everyone how hard she practices. How well she can dance.

Freshman Alexis Stroud has participated in ballet for 13 years and is fully committed. 

“Well, parents always put their girls in ballet and their boys in soccer,” Stroud said. “But my parents were shocked when I wanted to continue. I guess I can thank them all for it.”

Stroud practices two and a half hours a day, six days a week, with the exception of preparation for a performance, in which case she spends an extra hour practicing.

“I love the overall atmosphere of ballet,” Stroud said. “Getting prepared for a show is so exciting, especially when I know I can walk into the theatre and dance my best.”

Stroud said her favorite part of ballet is performing, which she usually does trice a year in December and May. She has danced in places like New York, Colorado, Italy and California.

“When I am performing, I usually hear my dance teacher’s voice in my head,” Stroud said. “I hear him telling me all the correction I have gotten to [dance] better.”

She also said she enjoys learning new choreography from her instructors.

My dance teacher, Mark Lanham, is amazing when it comes to choreography,” Stroud said. “Even though the steps are given to me, I still get to put my own twist to it.”

Stroud typically dances with a group, though she has danced with a partner and by herself in the past, and she said she hopes to continue to dance for a long time.

“I am planning to go into a professional company,” Stroud said. “I still haven’t decided where though. I have always dreamed of working my way up the ballet chain to Prima Ballerina.”

Stroud said her biggest fans will always be her family.

“They have always supported me and helped me through the ups and downs in my dancing career,” Stroud said. “They have never missed a show.”

View Comments (1)