Student auditions for TV show ‘X-Factor”

Student auditions for TV show X-Factor

Dreaming is simple—it’s something we all do. Unfortunately for many teens in our society today, the motivation to transform those dreams into reality just isn’t there. However, that is definitely not the case for sophomore Kailey Byrd. This bubbly, full-time music lover was given the opportunity to share her passion with all of America for its debut of popular British T.V. show, The X Factor, this summer.

Byrd travelled to Dallas, TX for the 3-day audition process of the singing competition program. The show is kind of like “American Idol” and it even includes judges Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul. However, unlike American Idol, the age of contestants can be anywhere from 12 years and up, and contestants can also enter as groups if they wish.

“[It was] very tiring,” Byrd said. “I had to wait in line for 15 ½ hours just to see one judge. But it didn’t cost us anything to audition, the flight was the only thing we had to pay for and I only missed the last three days of school.”

Byrd continued to share stories from her experience and explained why, despite receiving positive feedback from the judges, she didn’t advance to the actual show.

“The song I auditioned with was “More Like Her” by Miranda Lambert,” Byrd said. “When I finished singing, the judges said it was amazing. But they told me it was a ‘no’ because I have braces and the lights would reflect off of them on camera. I was really mad. They could have told me that before I waited in line for 15 hours. Also, we got these cool bracelets for auditioning but if you didn’t make it they cut them off of your wrist so I was sad.”

Even though Byrd’s performance didn’t meet the show’s qualifications, she said her mom was guiding her along the way, helping her to keep her chin up.

“My mom took me [to Dallas] because my dad and brothers couldn’t go.” Byrd said. “She told me that even if I don’t make it, I can’t give up. She said ‘not a lot of people get to have this experience so I am lucky’.”

Even though she was let down by the judges’ decision, Byrd said she still sings because that’s what she loves to do. In addition to figuring out the specific qualifications for the show, Byrd gave some inspirational advice to other teens thinking about trying out for the show in the future.

“Don’t get there at 6:00 a.m.,” Byrd said jokingly. “If you do, then you’ll be like me and have to wait 15 hours. Just don’t give up. Even if the judges or whoever say they don’t like your singing, there is always someone out there who will say that they do. Just don’t give up.”

View Comments (2)