Faculty remembers assistant principal Johnna Birkes

She touched the hearts of many and changed the hearts of countless others. She held a passion for her family, her students and theatre. She was a leader and she was a Raider. She was one of our own and she will never be forgotten as long as the Raider song rings true in our hallways.

Johnna Kay Birkes was 45 years old when she passed away Jan.10. Johnna was in her first year as principal at River Road High School and before that, was employed at Greenways Intermediate School. Johnna’s death hit close to home as she was well-known at Randall as one of the assistant principals from 2006 – 2008. Many teachers and students are familiar with her, her family, and who she was. Principal Steve Williams said he remembers Johnna and the impact she had on him, her students and others around her.

“She loved her students and fought very hard to see them succeed,” Williams said. “She was very committed to her students. I admired that about her. Many of her students stayed in school because of her. She loved theatre and her own children dearly and that passion was contagious.”

Johnna was survived by her husband of 15 years, Dean Birkes, the assistant principal at Westover Park Junior High, a daughter and two sons. Johnna graduated from Plains High School in 1984. She had a Bachelor of Science degree from Texas Tech University and a master’s degree from West Texas A&M where she graduated with honors. English teacher, Sue Hair said she remembers Johnna to be understanding and supportive when it came to education and teaching, specifically in the English subject as she was once an English teacher herself.

“I remember she wanted two things for Randall; kids to learn and teachers to have all they needed, tangible and intangible, to teach well,” Hair said. “She amazed me in her ability to balance her job as an administrator and her role as the mother of a young family, both of which she seemed to do really well. I’m very sad of her loss, both for her students and her family. What a reminder of the fragility of life.”

English teacher, Lea Ann Hill, who also knew Johnna when she was assistant principal said one of her favorite experiences with Johnna was when Hill had an irate parent and Johnna backed her up all the way. Hill said she will always respect her for that.

“[Johnna was] very spirited,” Hill said. “She told it like it was so you always knew where you stood with her. It was okay to agree to disagree. She really always gave me the courage to stand up for what [was] right even if [I was] standing alone.”

Theatre teacher, Jill Ludington said she first met Johnna through her husband when he helped her with One Act play during her first two years at Randall. Ludington said Johnna was supportive of her and encouraging in building up the theatre program at Randall and took her job seriously.  She said Johnna would always make her feel she and what she had to say was important. In one word, Ludington described Johnna as driven.

“When I went into her office she always stopped what she was doing and turned around to look at my face and really heard what I was saying,” Ludington said. “That really meant a lot to me. I took that lesson with me to help make my students feel important too. Johnna was great with students.  She was consistent and fair [and] I think that students really respected that.”

Like Ludington, theatre teacher Pegi Lovett also met Johnna through theatre. Lovett said Johnna had a strong personality and a strong sense of purpose.

“She spoke exactly what was on her mind and it was refreshing because you always knew where you stood with her,” Lovett said. “She went after her dreams and encouraged others to do the same. She was never afraid of a fight, if it was for a student or for a teacher. I am glad that I knew Johnna. She was and still is an example for me. She influenced my life for the good.”

Assistant principal, Jennifer Cornwell, said she was a teacher at Randall when Johnna came into the administrator position, where she said she was around Johnna a lot. Cornwell said Johnna impacted her in different ways, professionally and personally.

“Any time I requested professional advice as a teacher she was supportive,” Cornwell said. “She was supportive when I decided to go back to school and get my certification to be an administrator. As a mother, she showed compassion towards me during some very difficult times. Her last year at Randall was the year I had twins. That alone was not easy but one of my babies had a mass that required medical care in Houston. Times like that are so difficult and her concern was very much appreciated.”

After Johnna left Randall, Cornwell filled her position and said she has come in contact with many teachers, students, parents and community members that she worked amongst. Cornwell said there would be many times she would be on the phone with a parent and they would praise the work that Johnna did with their child. According to Cornwell, there was even a student that came back to earn a diploma because of a promise made to Johnna.   

“[If I could say anything to her now] I would tell her that her mission as an educator was accomplished; she has made a positive difference in the lives of children,” Cornwell said. “Many are now adults and beginning to realize that what Johnna did for them was out of love. She touched many lives in her time here.  One former student told me “she never gave up on me when everyone else did.”