New program changes student learning

Bring your own technology (BYOT), is a new program at Randall that allows students to bring their technology for learning purposes. This year, almost every classroom has a brand new Wi-Fi adapter for teachers to allow students to use their smartphones or other devices for classroom purposes.

English teacher Tammi Fritz was one of the first to incorporate BYOT into her everyday classwork during the “pilot” last year.

“I was excited about the use of technology and finding ways to have it be a useful part of learning and the classroom environment.” Fritz said.

Since it is only the beginning of the school year, not many students have had the chance to use BYOT in their classes.

“I used it often last year, but not as much as I would have liked to,” sophomore Tyler Smith said.

While some are excited about the new program, others have concerns about what the program will bring.

“Students are going to be looking up things they shouldn’t instead of what they are supposed to be,” sophomore Monica Dewey said.

The way to handle this, according to Fritz is to “expect them to follow the RHS BYOT guidelines, and actively monitor kids to encourage appropriate use.”

According to the RHS BYOT guidelines, students as well as parents/guardians must adhere to the classroom and campus rules, the Student Code of Conduct, Student Handbook, Acceptable Use Policy, and all Board of Trustee policies. Each teacher will have their own form of punishment for the breaking of these rules, and administration is working on a school-wide punishment for inappropriate use.

“It’s time to be a 21st Century school,” Fritz said.