Seniors to compete in college

Each stride continues to bring them closer to the finish line. As they continue to push forward they both have their eyes on more than just a high school win. Instead, the finish line represents more than the end of their high school experience. It also represents the beginning of a new chapter for seniors Madison Matlock and Blake Robertson.

Matlock and Robertson both signed to attend the University of New Orleans to compete with the cross country and track team in the fall. Both seniors will train and prepare this summer before they move to New Orleans, Louisiana to begin competing and attending school.

“I’m excited to be a college athlete and meet new people,” Matlock said.

Matlock said her biggest challenge will be training and competing at the collegiate level, however, she has many goals set for herself during her experience in college.

“I want to improve my competition times,” Matlock said. “I also want to make friends with my teammates and just focus on my training and be the best that I can be.”

While Matlock said she is excited to start a new stage in her life and thinks it will be a great experience, Robertson said he is also excited to continue his running career at the collegiate level.

“Running at the division one level is completely different than high school so training this summer and staying healthy will be the biggest challenge,” Robertson said. “[I am just excited] about experiencing something completely new.”

Although Blake said he is looking forward to meeting new people, seeing new places and having new adventures,  his main purpose in college is achieving his goals.

“I’d like to win a national title and [be accepted] into [medical] school,” Robertson said. “I just want to thank God for all the opportunities he has given me throughout my life.”