Personality differences root of social conflict

It can be a challenge to get along with others. We believe people should act or react the way we would. We expect them to get upset about the things we do, handle problems in the same manner and understand and agree with our logic. When they don’t, the frustration begins. We might roll our eyes, argue or stomp off to separate rooms and slam the door shut. Deep down, we’re thinking of one thing; “what’s wrong with them?”

The characteristics of human behavior have been studied for centuries. According to analysts, people are born with certain personality types that make us act and react to things differently. Some personality types work well with each other, while some should not be in the same room. There are four major types of personalities, Analytical, Amiable, Driver and Expressive. Here are characteristics of these major personalities to make it easier to know who is what type.

Analytical people always think before they speak. They won’t say something if they aren’t for sure they are right. They are usually diligent, logical, polite, practical, reserved, serious, withdrawn and indecisive.

Amiable people do not like to get in the way of others. They do not speak up or share their ideas; they usually conform to the wishes of others. These people are usually patient, quiet, loyal, not assertive, passive, indecisive, supportive and devoted.

Drivers take charge. They want to do things their way and are usually focused on the task rather than being social. Drivers are usually decisive, organized, persuasive, determined, independent, dominant, matter-of-fact, and they usually take risks.

Expressive people rely heavily on their emotions to make decisions. They usually do not think before they speak and are more focused on building relationships rather than the task. Expressive people are usually enthusiastic, outgoing, unorganized, impatient, fun-loving, imaginative, unrealistic, and undisciplined.

Here are the most and least compatible personality matches out of these four.  Amiable people will get along with most anybody because of their compliant, shy nature. Analytical people will usually get along with drivers, because they are both motivated to complete a task. Usually expressive people only get along with each other because they do not like quietness or practicality. Drivers and people who are expressive will not get along easily because a driver is focused, where as an expressive person only wants to talk.