Tennis team ‘makes do’ after thief steals $4000 in equipment

The tennis team is working with limited supplies after $4000 worth of equipment was stolen from their tennis shed Aug. 30.

After competing in Pampa, the team returned home and locked their equipment in the shed as usual. The next day, they found someone had crow-barred open the door and took most everything the team owned. Among some of the things stolen were 12 rackets, nets, chairs, balls, the tennis ball machine, coolers, court squeegees, brooms and ball hoppers. In addition to the coolers and chairs, 10 of the 12 tennis rackets taken were the personal property of Coach Darby Norman. Three or four of them were worth approximately $300 each.

Campus cameras showed a person on top of the industrial arts building. Then at approximately 3 or 4 o’clock in the morning, the cameras captured headlights shining towards the tennis shed. At this point, school officials have not been able to identify the person on tape.  

“I was literally sick at my stomach to realize someone would stoop to such a low level,” Norman said. “(The tennis team) didn’t have a lot, but what we did have we are proud of.”

The school district did not to file an insurance claim for the theft to avoid a hike in their insurance premium. School officials have agreed to replace some of the items; however, Norman’s personal items will not be replaced.  To make matters worse, Norman said limited supplies, court conditions and small facilities were already an obstacle before the theft.  

“We have about 80 kids using half a portable with two bathrooms in it,” Norman said. “Other schools have eight to 10 courts while we have six and one of those is unusable because it has cracks and pot holes.”

Because of the court conditions, Norman said the team has not been able to play any home games at Randall this season. Home matches are being played at the tennis center in John Stiff Park. 

“Having to play home matches at the tennis center has been a challenge,” Norman said. “We don’t have a home court advantage and having to reserve a bus and go can be a hassle.”

As of right now, Norman said the team is “making do” with what they have, and are continuing to practice despite the theft. 

“When it rains, we just have to wait for the courts to dry since we don’t have squeegees or dry rollers to help the drying process,” Norman said. “We haven’t been able to order new balls to play with and we are finding other options for kids who don’t have rackets.”

Crime Stoppers are offering an award for anyone with information about the crime. Anyone with information can contact the Amarillo Crime Stoppers or RHS Liaison officer Gabe Luna at 677-2333.

“I hope someone does the right thing and comes forward,” Norman said. “Despite what the team has been through, I’m proud of them. Even after all this we are tied for third in district and continue to work hard each day.”