HOSA to host blood drive Nov. 20

There will be a blood drive in the turf room Nov. 20 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.  If students wish to donate, they must see Amber Hall or Julie Gwen before the day of to sign up.  Students may pick desired time for their appointment on a first come first serve basis and will receive a pass from class.  Students must be at least 17 years of age, weight no less than 115 pounds and have had no piercings or tattoos earlier than six weeks before.  It is necessary to eat prior to the appointment, just a snack will suffice.  Students will be asked for photo identification up front.  Gwen said the injection itself hurts, but once the nurse tapes down the needle there should be no pain.  She also said it is common to feel light-headed or nauseous during the process. One way to alleviate this feeling is to pinch the stomach to get blood flow back to the head.  Nurses will also try to make donors as comfortable as possible by adjusting the seat or providing a cold rag.  Randall’s Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) is running the drive.  The blood will go to Coffee Memorial Blood Center to be packaged and sent off to local hospitals.  Donors will receive a card from Coffee Memorial notifying them of their blood type and will get a phone call from the hospital that their blood went to.  Mrs. Gwen said hospitals need all type of blood and that donating is very necessary.  She said one bad car wreck can completely deplete someone of their blood. According to Gwen, anything can happen to a person and there will always be a demand for blood as long as people are around.