Spanish teacher takes class on education vacation

Spanish teacher, Dahlia Lopez and a group of students are going on a trip to Costa Rica.  The trip is nine days long from June 21 to July 1 of 2014.  Lopez is already starting to count down the days left until they depart. Expenses for students are $2,195 total or $138 per month. For adults the trip is $2,560 total or $160 per month. 

“I’ve already had 18 students sign up for the trip,” Lopez said. “It’s not too late to sign up but the sooner you sign up and pay off the trip, the more certain I am that the lowest prices will be locked.”

The total trip fee covers the plane ride, the hotel stay and three meals per day.  Lopez said students are given two years to pay for the trip to give them an opportunity to earn the money themselves.

“In the past, we’ve done garage sales and bake sales to earn the money,” Lopez said. “It always had to be in the summer because students are so busy during school.”

The trip is planned by Education First Tours; the route hits the eastern side of Costa Rica including Limon Province and Dominican.  The trip consists of a wide array of activities such as a Biodome tour with a butterfly garden, visiting a beach and zip lining.

“I’m excited for the chocolate tour,” Lopez said. “Any kind of chocolate is amazing and getting to see how it’s cultivated and where it comes from will be enriching.”

Lopez said the locations are all “very American friendly”.  Students will personally get to know the tour guide who speaks English and most of the people in the area speak English as well.  The tour is designed for the most encouraging and educational experience as possible.

“We had so much fun on the last trip four years ago,” Lopez said. “I got many requests to go to Costa Rica again. I figured many students who went to Costa Rica last time told the new students what an incredible time they had. That just means the trip will be something they always remember.”

Here’s a sneak peek of the itinerary:

Day 1: Fly to Costa Rica and meet Tour Director

Day 2: Visit Biodome, Poas Volcano, and hot springs

Day 3: Take kayaking trip and visit La Fortuna Waterfall

Day 4: Ziplining                                   

Day 5: Go on Chocolate tour and whitewater rafting

Day 6: Travel to Limon Province

Day 7: Enjoy time at the beach

Day 8 and 9: Depart for home