Mock AP Exam

Abigail Hurtt, Staff Writer

Thursday, January 19, junior and senior AP English students will take a mock AP exam at the District Support Center in Canyon.

Juniors will take an AP Language and Composition Exam and seniors will take an AP Literature Exam. By taking AP exams, students are able to earn college credit if they score high enough. Because these tests are difficult, students gain crucial test taking skills, such as time management. By taking a “mock” test, AP students are able to test their strengths and weaknesses without actually receiving a grade that will go on their transcript.

On the AP Language and Composition test, students must complete multiple choice questions that accompany different readings as well as compose three essays. The first essay is rhetorical analysis, where students read a short passage and analyze what the author is saying. The second essay is synthesis which requires that students read various sources and compile the information in a single essay. The final essay is a written argumentation. Students have 3 hours and 15 minutes to complete this exam.

The AP Literature test is composed of two parts. The first is a 55 question multiple choice section followed by a three part free response section. The categories for the free response questions are a literary analysis of a given poem, a literary analysis of a given passage of prose fiction, and an analysis that examines a specific concept. Students have 3 hours to complete this exam.

So, if you will be taking a test on Thursday, remember to get a good night’s rest, stay hydrated, and give it your best shot! Good luck to all students participating.