Amarillo adopts cell phone ban for drivers

With today’s busy lifestyle it’s not uncommon to see some of the best multitasking people of this century. Driving down the road, steering with one foot, scarfing down a greasy burger in their right hand, and not surprisingly on their cell phone. From making sure the kids got to school on time, to adding that last bit of makeup, there is always many other things to do in the car other than driving. However, during travel is not the time to multitask. Amarillo Traffic Commissioners recently passed a new law banning cell phone use while on the road. Drivers who are caught text, calling, or using any other phone while driving will be ticketed. Now, only a Bluetooth calling device will be allowed for calling while on the road.

The cell phone ban is very appropriate and will make city roads safer for everyone.

Although law makers cannot ban eating, listening to music, chatting with passengers and all other driving distractions, banning cell phones is eliminating a big one. With today’s high tech and smart phones that allow access to social networking sites, popular games, and other methods of chatting with friends, it’s hard for drivers to keep focus on the road and not be tempted to pick up their cell phone while driving. During the monotonous drive to work or school every morning it’s hard not to rely on fun applications to stay entertained. Being the most common driving distraction, cell phone use accounts for many wrecks that occur on city streets every day. By eliminating cell phone use, a main distraction can be avoided and more attention can be focused on the road.

Eliminating this distraction results in keeping drivers and bystanders safe. When driving on a city road, a driver may choose to not use their cell phone, for the sake of their own safety. However, no one person can control other driver’s decisions. By outlawing cell phone use and issuing punishment for violators, cell phone use on the road will decrease. This will take away the option of using a cell phone for all drivers, which will keep everyone safer.

Although many will complain concerning the cell phone ban, there is still an alternative method everyone can use if they need to talk on the phone while driving. Since cell phones have become a main method of communication, it would be unfair to ban use of a cell phone in the car altogether.  However, since an alternative, safer option has been suggested, there is no reason that the cell phone ban is not a fair to all citizens.

The cell phone ban will eliminate a very dangerous distraction that causes many accidents all over the city. By banning cell phone use, Amarillo roads will become much safer for drivers and bystanders. The ban is a fair law that will direct driver’s attention where it should be: the road.