The “Muslim Ban”

Natasa Dobras, Staff Writer

Last Friday on January 27, the new president Donald Trump issued an executive order to suspend immigrants from seven countries access to entering the United States for 90 days. The seven states include Libya, Sudan, Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Somalia, and Syria. Not only that, the bill also suspends the United States’ refugee system for 120 days.

Although Trump is not the first president to issue an order like this, he has caused a riot among the people. After the bill was issued, it brought confusion to the airports as immigration lawyers had to determine what visas were valid and what visas were invalid. New immigrants coming to the country from these seven countries with no previous visa were obviously denied access, but the most shocking part about the issuing of this bill is it prevented immigrants from these countries who have established resistance, and a green card or a visa access to the country. These people were majorly affected because they have homes in the country, and jobs to attend to, but they have no access into the country. Lawyers have even advised immigrants with green cards and visas to avoid leaving the country for fear they will not be allowed back inside.

This part of the bill was later reviewed and changed to allow immigrants with green cards to enter the country. However, this didn’t stop people from protesting. The people are angry that a country known most famously as a free country is not providing freedom for immigrants. Many of these protests included the famous phrases “No ban no wall,” and “No KKK, no fascist USA, no Trump.” The people are in a state of distress fighting for equality for all immigrants who are trying to escape their country, and find peace within the borders of America.

It is understandable Trump wants to protect the country from potential terrorist attacks, but he needs to be more careful in the way he carries out his plans for America. The bill should have been sent through congress and edified before releasing and starting a mess like the one we are overcome by. The immigrants with permanent residence in the U.S. and with possession of a green card should be excluded from the bill, because they are not a threat. In order to resolve this issue, Trump needs to listen to what these Americans are fighting for: freedom.