A Night to Remember

Alex Ruiz, Staff Writer

Although this was my first time attending prom in all of my three years of high school, it was definitely what I had expected it to be. The weather was absolutely perfect minus the usual pesky west Texas wind, the food was scrumptious, and the music somewhat tolerable, making the night just plain enjoyable all around. I spent the evening with my date, and a group of my closest friends as well as their dates. Along with going to the actual prom together, we had dinner beforehand at the Japanese restaurant Sakura, and we had the opportunity to get our pictures taken downtown by a close family friend.

Randall held their junior and senior prom at the Amarillo Civic Center on April 8. The event started around 8:00 p.m., but of course I was late and arrived around 9:15. Valet parking was offered at the entrance, along with a chance for last minute prom goers to purchase their $30 ticket of the evening.

Walking along the red carpet at the entrance made the 1950’s old Hollywood theme very known, along with the film rolls, and the other various props and decorations placed around the venue. If you didn’t want to dance, there were plenty of other activities for you to participate in. There was a gambling station where students were allowed to gamble fake money that was given at the door, a photo booth station with a photographer, and a silent auction to wrap up the evening. Many members of the staff that chaperoned the event noted that in the many years they’ve attended this event, this year’s was one of the more “fun” years due to the high number of participation from students, and although I don’t have anything to compare it to, I can say it was a very delightful evening filled with laughter, and memories that will last forever.