Filed under Sports Columns

There’s a reason women don’t play football

Personally, I am a very avid sports fan and always have been and lately, I’ve been researching the woman’s role in sports. Now I’m all for women’s rights and gender equality, and I’ve never fully understood why women don’t play certain sports that men do, and vice versa.

Last week, as I was watching the varsity football game against Palo Duro, it hit me like a 300 pound Alabama lineman.

It’s not that women are incapable of competing on a men’s level, it’s the fact that we are such emotional creatures that we would take someone’s head off if we were insulted or hit after the whistle. Not to say it doesn’t happen in women’s sports, it’s just not always quite as brutal, but we usually do not let it go on like many men do.

Hitting, trash talking and even parts of the game such as tackling and interceptions would send us over the edge into a violent pile up of bitterness.

As I watched, play after play of a large defensive player pushing and cheap-shotting Randall players after the play was over, it angered me that the officials never saw it, just as most competitive people would. I was angry enough that had I not known I would have embarrassed my school and my family by jumping that thin railing, I would have given that boy a swift kick he could not have blocked and run back for a touchdown.

That’s what some women would probably do. When they got hit, they would plot their brutal revenge and put a bounty on the head of the offender, even if she was just doing her job.

Women over react, it’s a part of being a female, and that, is exactly why we belong in the stands, not on the football field.