Snow stalls spring sports

Due to the unusual amounts of snow pelting the Panhandle area, creating hazardous road conditions and difficulties in travel for all, training for spring has also been delayed during these crucial early weeks of the season.

With snow on the ground and frigid weather conditions, some sports, like track and soccer, can tough out the biting cold.  Junior varsity track runner Marc Roy said that he still has to practice outside.  However, he said that although the weather isn’t friendly, he knows he needs to be there.

“We’re not where we should be in conditioning,” Roy said.

Those who aren’t able to practice outside, like softball and field sports, have to resort to the turf room.  Sophomore Saybra Hahmann, who is on the varsity softball team, said that the snow is causing things to slow down that should be gearing up.

“There are so many things that we can’t go over in the turf room,” Hahmann said.

Girls’ golf coach Bart Cadenhead said that the weather conditions are making a serious impact on the golf team’s performance.

“There is a 10 stroke difference per player right now,” Cadenhead said.  “Yet, we’re the best in 4A for West Texas.”

Despite this, Cadenhead said that the snow is still hurting spring sports on a whole.

“Snow is causing a major disadvantage to our athletes,” Cadenhead said.  “Teams down south that [Randall] could normally blow over easily will actually pose a challenge to beat.”

Perhaps freshman Brittany Constancio, who pole vaulted on varsity for the Texas Tech meet, said it best when referring to the snow and its relation to sports.

“It’s a problem,” Constancio said.  “We’re way behind.”