Basketball team looks to make history in upcoming season

Ridrell Holman
Ridrell Holman

A new year full of new goals and obstacles awaits the Randall Raiders, who will begin the 2010-2011 season Nov. 16 against Levelland.

While the Randall basketball program has been considered among the best in the area for the past several years, this season’s team is looking to take their success to the next level.  In 21 years as head coach at Randall, Leslie Broadhurst has produced several state-ranked teams, but never taken a group past the regional finals.  With all five starters having varsity experience and the return of two all-district players in Ridrell Holman and Joseph Scott, players said that this year could be the year the Raiders get to state.

“We want to be the first team from Randall to go to state,” junior Mark Evans said.  “This fall, we worked harder than any team in Texas to achieve our goal.”

This offseason, Broadhurst put the Raiders through a ‘boot camp’ workout designed to build strength and speed.  The team also focused heavily on creating a more aggressive style of play on the court.

“In the offseason we really became closer as a team,” Holman said.  “We had to push each other to get through things that we didn’t think we could get through.”

The Raiders start the season ranked no. 16 in state, and will look to an aggressive defensive mentality as well as offensive production from Holman and Scott to fuel the team’s success.

“We want to get in people’s space and have pressure on the ball at all times,” Evans said.  “On offense, we want to push the ball down the floor all four quarters.”

While Holman and Scott each averaged over 11 points per game last season. Holman said that the other role players will be crucial in determining the team’s success.

“My teammates do everything to make us good,” Holman said.  “They can score and maintain a lead. Without them we are nothing.”

Evans also said that the factor that separates this year’s team from others is the depth and production from the bench.

“Our biggest strength is our depth,” Evans said.  “In the past we haven’t had that, but now it will make all the difference.”

While the Raiders have their sights set on state, there are plenty of obstacles to overcome on the way.  Randall has not won a district title since 2001, and will have to get through playoff-caliber teams such as Palo Duro and Canyon just to achieve that goal.

“We have all the talent we need,” Holman said.  “We’ve worked hard enough that when we face an obstacle we can just use it as a stepping stone.  We are determined to not only win district, but to take Coach Broadhurst to state for the first time.”