Realignment causes shift in district 3-4A

The UIL’s announcement of its biennial realignment last Thursday created some major shifts in the area’s districts.

The biggest announcement involved former 5A rival Amarillo High moving down into district 3-4A after the UIL moved the cutoff for 5A schools to 2090 students.  This move led a new-look district consisting of Amarillo High, Randall, Canyon, Dumas, Palo Duro and Caprock.

This new district will likely change 3-4A in a big way.  The district will now be arguably the best volleyball district in Texas, with Randall coming off a state run and Amarillo High winning four consecutive state titles from 2006-2009.  The new 3-4A has collectively won 15 state titles in the past.

The addition of Amarillo High will also bring major competition in nearly every sport.  The Sandies proved their might in football and basketball this season, and are used to a standard of athletic success.

The realignment also impacted Tascosa High School in a big way.   The Rebels will now play in a monster 5A district consisting of schools from Abilene, Lubbock, Midland, Odessa, and San Angelo.  This will create many 200 mile round-trip away games for the Rebels next year.