Senior soccer girls cherish Randall careers

A 2-1 regional semifinals loss to Birdville April 13 ended the soccer season for the Lady Raiders.  The loss also ended the high school careers of six seniors (Brooke Ward, Haley Girard, Hannah Snider, Haley Girard, Cherica Hooley and Lisette Meza) who played large roles in the program’s success over the course of four years.

Even as freshmen in 2009, some players made big contributions to a team that made a run to the regional finals.  The next year, the team went to state.  As juniors, the team entered the season ranked no. 1 in Texas, but lost in a first-round upset.  However, this group of seniors did not back down from adversity, and rebounded with a successful season in which the Lady Raiders earned a district championship and staged another deep playoff run.  While their time playing at Randall may be over, the impact of the illustrious careers of the 2012 senior class will be felt for years to come.

“God blessed us all with a great talent,” senior captain Brooke Ward said.  “That and our determination and drive allowed us to have a lot of success.”

Senior Haley Girard, who signed to continue her career next year at West Texas A&M, said the common bond between the senior class was key in their on-field success.

“We’ve been together forever,” Girard said.  “We’ve always gotten along and had the same goals in mind.”

A common motivation for the seniors this season was a painful loss in the opening round of the prior year.  Ward said this was a big factor in the team’s approach to the 2012 season.

“We were all fired up from last year’s loss,” Ward said.  “We did all we could to prepare and make the most of this last season.”

Still, the strong leadership and drive was not enough to get the team back to state.  Ward said losing to Birdville was tough, but the team still tried to be positive.

“It didn’t feel real knowing it was all over,” Ward said.  “I was still proud because we gave it all we had in that last game and played with no regrets.”

One unique aspect of this season’s team was a strong sense of faith.  Girard said that helped her overcome the frustration of seeing her Randall career come to an end.

“It was disappointing to know we couldn’t go further,” Girard said.  “But I was proud we gave all the glory to God in every situation.”

While the Lady Raiders will graduate six players who did great things during their time at Randall, next year’s team still boasts an experienced group that will look to carry on the program’s tradition.  For the seniors, Girard said moving on will be difficult.

“Lady Raider soccer meant so much to me,” Girard said.  “It’s great to be part of a team and family, and working everyday to achieve a common goal.”