Eyebrows Speak Louder than Words

Natasa Dobras, Staff Writer

A Deaf Slam, otherwise known as an ASL Slam, is a type of performance that includes poetry, storytelling, comedy, and song interpretations for an audience. This performance brings recognition to the Deaf community as it is a way for deaf people to express themselves through visual art. It is best described as a type of talent show, since the performances are judged and awards are given to the best acts. Just like Texas Tech, Randall hosts a Deaf slam once a year during the spring semester. This year, the slam will be held on Mar. 3 at 7 P.M. in the auditorium.

For many years in the past, ASL was heavily rejected and frowned upon by society. It was seen as abnormal for someone to speak with their hands. Through time, deaf people have been able to change those standards and through time, society has been able to accept their language.

The Deaf community is very close and committed to celebrating, and spreading their culture. Performing in a slam is just another way they are able to express themselves. They do not have to feel ashamed for their hearing loss because they can perform on stage like any other hearing person.

I have been able to experience watching a slam when I attended one at Texas Tech university. It was an amazing experience, and it felt like any other talent show I’ve attended, except for the fact the room was silent. Besides the quiet room, the only difference is when you applaud someone’s act, you do not clap. Instead, you hold your arms up and wave your hands. Everyone is very supportive of each other, and you can constantly see people applauding each other at the event.

The slam at Randall will have performers from the ASL 2 and ASL 3 class. Not only that, some of the ASL teachers will also be performing at the slam. A deaf chat will also take place an hour before the performance. This is a social event where deaf and hearing people studying ASL can interact with each other and hang out before the slam.

Tickets for this event are being sold by ASL 3 students and ASL teachers. The tickets only cost only $3 each. The money made from the slam will be donated to help fund deaf organizations.