This is Not a Drill

Natasa Dobras, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday, eighth period was interrupted by a fire alarm that went off in the east building. Most students assumed this was another fire drill that takes place regularly at the school. However, the teachers were shocked because they weren’t informed of a fire drill, and the drills normally take place in the morning. Everyone exited the building in a proper manner and that is when the students noticed actual fire trucks arriving at Randall. The message was clear to everyone then that this wasn’t a drill.

While students in the west building were completely oblivious to the situation, the students from the east were forced to deal with real fire drill. The source of the fire came from a trash can in the east bathroom. The school employees ended up having to put out the fire with an extinguisher. It was later concluded that the fire was started intentionally.

The student responsible for the fire was Matthew Robert Castillo, who was later charged with arson. He was arrested and taken to the Randall County Jail. The crime could leave the suspect in jail for 10 to 20 years, and he would have to pay a fine up to $200,000. Not only that, the crime will remain permanently on his record.

Fortunately, no one was injured at the scene. The students were brought to the auditorium where principal, Steve Williams, gave a speech addressing the situation. Afterwards, the students went back to their class to retrieve their belongings, but they were unable to finish their class for the day.

Many students and teachers have described the situation as scary or surprising. A lot of them were worried because this was an actual fire drill, but yet some students were just relieved they were able to miss their last class of the day. Luckily, the students of Randall High have been properly trained to deal with emergency situations like this, and were able to evacuate the building effectively.