How I Attained My Newfound Dislike of Slow Cookers

Paige James, Staff Writer

Super Bowl Sunday is an exhilarating time for many people. Personally, I find it underwhelming because I couldn’t care less about football. However, I was looking forward to this years. I wasn’t excited about the game, the commercials or the halftime show, but for the new episode of This is Us after the game was over. The show follows siblings Kevin, Kate, and Randall, also known as the “Big Three,” along with their parents Rebecca and Jack Pearson, in different stages of their lives. It is revealed early in the first season that Jack died before the Big Three reached adulthood. However, the cause of death was left unknown.

On February 4, Jack’s death was finally revealed. It was caused by a slow cooker. The appliance was given to the Pearson family by their neighbors who were moving to a new home. On Super Bowl Sunday of 1998, the slow cooker erupted into flames after it was left plugged in and due to its faulty switch. The fire spread throughout the house and Jack got his family to safety. He ran back inside to get Kate’s dog and a few of the family’s valuable items. He managed to escape the burning building but later died at the hospital from a heart attack due to the amount of smoke he inhaled.

While the blame can be placed on multiple objects or people, I can say I will not be using any slow cookers in the future.