Don’t Believe Everything You Read, but Believe This

Fake News and How to Avoid it

Hanna Edwards, Staff Writer

Lies, cheats, scams, few political truths, and fake news is everywhere because the Internet is booming. No matter your political party, favorite TV star, or beliefs, everyone will be exposed to fake news about something they are for or against. Some people don’t know what it is, but the name sums it up mostly. It’s news that is not real, but it can be used as a weapon to hurt businesses or people and is mainly used in political affairs.

An example is if the president tripped over his shoelaces and accidentally hurt a puppy, and then a network publishes an article about our president hurting puppies. This can also be flipped, when someone in a position of power calls real news ‘fake’ and hurts the company providing the information.

It is best to avoid this ‘fake news’ for people trying to understand what is going on in the world, but it’s very hard to do. One way to avoid ‘fake news’ is to use reliable news sources that are neutral to politics and other affairs. Say that if a network is completely against puppies and you only watch that network, you’ll hear only bad things about puppies. On the flip side, if a network is completely for puppies then you’ll only hear good things about puppies, which could be flat out lies or exaggerations. When the company putting out this kind of information sounds too good to be true or only negative, then going to other news stations and checking what they say about puppies would be a good thing to do.

Another way to avoid fake news is to look a gift horse in the mouth. Because yes, you are given free news but free news can have pricey results. Dig into the network, the people providing the news, and what their company believes in. When personal beliefs and bias are apparent through an article, the company is most likely not a reliable source.

Fake news is almost unavoidable, but staying aware is important, so remember to double check sources and be mindful of the information you are consuming.