Pierce the Veil’s “Selfish Machines” worth the purchase

Pierce the Veils Selfish Machines worth the purchase

San Diego quartet, Pierce the Veil, released their sophomore album earlier this year entitled Selfish Machines.  This is exactly how a follow-up album should sound.  The band remainis faithful to their unique, melodic, post-hardcore roots while bending them slightly to make room for a more up-beat “circle pit” vibe.  Tracks “Fast Times at Claremont High” and “Million Dollar House” even introduce a PTV with an auto-tune sound (which I enjoy given the fact that it didn’t change them entirely, just subtly).  Tracing back to their Mexican heritage, the band opens up the album with a “salsa meets punk-rock” anthem entitled “Besitos.”  The ironically romantic and oh-so-clever lyrics in the song “Caraphernalia” are a great reflection of frontman and lyricist, Vic Fuentes’, past works with the band.  This is definitely the most energetic track and my personal favorite.  Its super-catchy chorus features A Day Tio Remember screamer Jeremy McKinnon (the icing on the cake for me).  For those who are fans of the slower-paced ballads like “Wonderless” and “Kissing in Cars” (both from the debut album, Flair for the Dramatic) then tracks “Southern Constellations” and “Stay Away from my Friends” are recommended.  Selfish Machines is definitely an album worth purchasing.

View Comments (1)