‘Love Simon’ Takes Spin on Traditional Love Story

Paige James, Staff Writer

The movie Love, Simon, directed by Greg Berlanti, premiered on March 16 and is based on the book, “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda,” by Becky Albertalli. While there are several differences between the book and movie, such as an addition of several new characters, the removal of a character, and a few changes in minor details, the movie conveys the same message and is an excellent portrayal of the book.

Love, Simon follows 17-year old Simon Spier (Nick Robinson). Simon is keeping a secret from his friends and family, but after Martin (Logan Miller) discovers emails between Simon, who is using the pseudonym Jacques, and an anonymous boy who goes by Blue, revealing Simon is gay, Martin threatens to tell Simon’s secret. That is, unless Simon sets Martin up with one of his friends, Abby (Alexandra Shipp), who is not interested Martin, but in Nick (Jorge Lendeborg Jr.).

Simon complies with Martin’s blackmail out of fear of losing his relationship with Blue. However, this leads to Simon manipulating his friends and their relationship with each other. In addition to dealing with drama with his friends and Martin’s blackmail, Simon also wants to figure out the identity of his online love interest, Blue. Is it Lyle (Joey Pollari), the Waffle House waiter? Bram (Keiynan Lonsdale), a soccer player? Stage manager, Cal (Miles Heizer)? Or, could it even be Martin?

Love, Simon is rated PG-13 and runs 150 minutes long. The movie has a nice balance of comedy and seriousness and is a great coming-of-age story for teenagers and adults.

Paige James, Staff Writer
My names is Paige James. I am a senior, and I am involved in theatre and Key Club. I joined the newspaper staff because I enjoy writing.