A Star is Born This Way

Mattie Freeze, Assistant Editor

Have you ever dreamed of becoming a star? In the movie “A Star is Born,” Ally’s dreams come true. Ally, played by Lady Gaga, is a waitress who sings at a drag bar on Friday nights. All she has is an incredible voice and a dream. Ally is discovered by famous singer Jackson Maine, played by Bradley Cooper. Ally and Jackson grow into a power couple after she begins performing with him. Ally is then rediscovered by an influential music producer, and her career takes off. Ally and Jackson than have to deal with the pressures of increasing fame, but her success may be her downfall.

If you always wanted a Disney movie to have a sad ending, you will love this movie. It is an emotional rollercoaster to the bitter end. You will laugh, you will cry, you will want to die. This is the fourth time “A Star is Born” has been done, but this is by far the best one yet.

Lady Gaga is made of magic. She deserves an Oscar and a Grammy for this movie alone. Her performance was inspiring, and I, a junior in high school with a mediocre voice, felt that I too could become famous. Even from early in her career she has advocated for self-love and positivity, give her song “Born This Way.”

This movie was incredible, but it raised an important question. First of all: Why doesn’t Bradley Cooper have a singing career? His undiscovered voice has just now been revealed and I am living for it. Overall, the scoring of the movie along with the voices of the lead actors made the experience somewhat overwhelming, in the best way.

The movie addresses the issue of alcoholism and the struggles that come with it. I, personally, had zero knowledge of the severity of this disease, and I never would have imagined the result Jackson sought from having to live that way.

The only advice I have for anyone wanting to see this movie is to wear waterproof mascara.

Mattie Freeze, Assistant Editor

Mattie Freeze is a junior, and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. Freeze joined because she would like to go into broadcasting.

Other Interests: Speech, debate, and theater

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: Mint chocolate chip

Favorite Color: Grey

Favorite Animal: Otter

Favorite Movie or TV Show: Clueless

Favorite Quote: “The power play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?” -Robin Williams, Dead Poet Society