Student accepts summer job

Summer is a time where most teens are free to have fun in the sun and do as they please. However, others use that opportunity to get jobs. A lucky few, such as Chris Storrs are fortunate enough to have a steady source of income and a job he enjoys. Storrs works at the Amarillo Dragway. He talks about what he did to get the job and how it’s affected him.

1. How long did it take for you to get the job?

“It took about two minutes; I drove to the track and simply asked if they needed any kind of help.”

2. What would happen if your job wasn’t done well, or at all?

“The cars would most likely have severe wrecks, smashing into each other, flipping and possibly being fatal to the drivers.”

3. How long have you been interested in cars/racing?

“I’ve grown up with cars. When I was little, I used to watch them race around the track all night on Sundays.”

4. What’s the most rewarding thing about your job?

“My job means a lot to me. My dad is a mechanic. When I was little, he worked on some of the rarest cars I’ve ever seen; some of them (were cars) other people haven’t even seen.”

5. Do you like watching the races?

“I enjoy feeling the rush of air as the cars race by and the smell that the fuel gives off.”  

6. What’s some advice you would give to someone who’s interested in working at the Amarillo Dragway?

“Keep your eyes on your own work and don’t talk to the other guys while they do their work, for risk of getting yelled at by the boss.”

7. If you had a chance, what kind of car would you like to race?

“I would like to drive or race a 1969 Camaro Super Sport; I like the body style and the Camaro is all in all pretty great.”