Expressing the inexpressible

In discovering more about music, it is a good idea to get inspired by the words of others. Going online and searching quotes about music can give someone a good idea about the feelings of others associated with music.

In thinking about a new topic for my blog, I decided to go down a route of analyzing quotes of others. This week, my quote by Aldous Huxley carries a lot of meaning within its lines. It goes as follows: “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”

I prefer to break apart a quote when analyzing it. As such, I’ll start with the first two words, “After silence…” Silence seems to be the best showstopper in explaining one’s emotions. Being left speechless in a conversation or while watching a show or movie of some sort articulates the feelings of a person in a quiet way, being transferred by others as thoughts of awe-inspiring amazement. But then we continue reading the quote: “…that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” Read that again, and again if needed: “That which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” Truth condensed into words to solidify an underlined need for music.

Music has been around for ages, generations, centuries, even millennia. The way music has been changed throughout these periods of time has brought it closer and closer to “expressing the inexpressible.” While music is proving to be an escape for others in many situations, it has also proved itself to be a fitting answer for those moments when the inexpressible comes into one’s life. However, this doesn’t mean that’s it’s always the answer. Some may have answers of their own, but silence, as Huxley said, comes before music.

This doesn’t mean that I’d rather promote silence than music. I love music, and it has proved its loyalty to me as well as many around the world. But it may not always be the answer. Understand that everyone has their own way of “expressing the inexpressible.” But according to Huxley, music turns out to be the 2nd best answer.

Find your escape, find your connection. Find music.