Exposing the truth behind common germ myths

Myths about germs and how they spread have been going around for years. With the help of Mythbusters.com and WebMD.com, the truth behind those circulating rumors is finally coming out.
Myth:
1. It is possible to get an STD from sitting on a toilet seat.
Answer: This is false. Although STDs do spread, it is not possible to obtain one from sitting on a toilet seat. It is actually more likely to spread those germs from touching the toilet or handle with one’s hands than it is from sitting.
2. Using an antibacterial hand gel such as GermX and Purel, are more effective in killing germs than regular soap and water.
Answer: This is also false. Washing one’s hand merely removes germs from the surface of the skin; it doesn’t exterminate them. Antibacterial hand gels contain an active ingredient called Triclosan that is actually designed to kill germs. However, it does not stay on hands long enough to effectively eliminate those germs. Because of this, it is recommended that soap and water be used.
3. Lice can jump from one person to another.
Answer: This is false. Lice only spread through direct contact with a person housing them. They can also spread through secondary sources such as shared combs, hats, or hair ties.
4. Fevers cause brain damage.
Answer: This is false. Fevers are a sign that the body is in the process of fighting off some form of infection. If the fever is below 105 degrees, it is typically considered harmless. Although they may cause hallucinations and/or seizures, they are not considered to be hazardous to the brain.
5. The air from hand dryers in public bathrooms spread germs around.
Answer: This is false as well. The actual insides of the dryers were found to contain no germs at all. They are completely sanitary. However, the buttons that start up the dryers are covered in germs. To avoid spreading them, it is suggested that an elbow or sleeve be used to turn them on.
Whatever the rumor, it is always best to go to a professional for answers that are most accurate. For any major questions or concerns, it is recommended to see a doctor or school nurse.