“Magic: The Gathering” card game gains interest

A “Magic: The Gathering” game club is held every Monday from 4 pm to 5:30 pm in Stephen Mathew’s room 405W.

“Magic: The Gathering” is a trading card game in which each player plays the role of a planeswalker, a wizard, who attempts to take out their opponents by attacking them with creatures or magic. Certain cards represent creatures that are used to block or attack the opponent and other cards represent magic that a player can use many times throughout the game to defeat their opponent. Mathews said the idea for the club came about when he saw some of his students playing during activity period and told them he played it when it first came out. When the students asked him to sponsor a club, he agreed.

“It’s a very eclectic mix of people,” Mathews said. “I enjoy the time I get to spend with my students outside of class. It is fun to get to know them better.”

The group usually consists of 6 to 12 people and Mathews said they hope to play Canyon High and other schools in the Amarillo school district in tournaments. Mathews began playing the game in the early 90s. Club member senior Hamilton, a club member said he was introduced to the club and the game itself through friends.

“I love the group of guys in the club,” Hamilton said. “We all just have fun. I like playing magic because it is a different kind of game. It’s all strategy and just a fun hearted game that can get heated at times.”

Hamilton and Mathews both said they play online as well as the actual card game. Senior Iggy Rozario, in addition to the club, said he also plays the game outside of school about two times a week at a card shop with different people. Rozario, like Hamilton and Mathews, said he was introduced to the game through friends.

“[The game] is enjoyable and easy to get into,” Rozario said. “I love the group and it’s very casual. We welcome anyone.”

According to Mathews, the game requires a lot of strategy and planning to build a deck that wins good. Mathews said he has cards well into the thousands and some of them have become very valuable. Hamilton said he has over 500 cards while Senior Bryan Delgado, another club member said he has well over 3,000 cards.

“A good friend showed [the game] to me freshman year,” Delgado said. “I like to go to the meetings and it’s a fun group. It’s a great way to pass time.”

Mathews said if anyone is interested to come by room 405 W on Mondays and the club has a few free starter decks for anyone that does.

“It’s a great, social game,” Mathews said. “[The students] are very encouraging to new players and are willing to help anyone learn the game that wants to. We would love more people to come and try it out with us.”