Senior prepares for final year in band

Senior Hannah Shaffer is preparing for her last year in band as a bassist. Shaffer has played the bass drum since she was in sixth grade, a total of seven years.

“In the base line, we have a family feel,” Shaffer said. “I get the chance to make new friends.”

Every other year is a state year for band, and this year is not one. Shaffer said that her goals for this year differ since it isn’t a state year. Shaffer said her future includes music.

“What I plan on doing does involve music,” Shaffer said. “Just not band music.”

Throughout her junior high and high school band experience, Shaffer has garnered many memories.

“[My best memory is] when we won the Putnam City Marching Contest last year,” Shaffer said. “All of our hard work paid off.”

However, Shaffer said not all of band is enjoyable however.

“Contests are stressful,” Shaffer said. “And waking up early is awful.”

Despite the stresses of band, Shaffer said she has gained new friends and new opportunities.

“I’ve gained a lot of friendships and work ethic and focus,” Shaffer said. “Band is a lot of work, but it’s worth it.”