Randall pregnancy experiment grabs the attention of the Amarillo Globe News

When senior Silver Streak staff writer, Kelli Blashill, strapped on a “baby bump” as an experiment for the newspaper, she didn’t know she’d make the front page of the Amarillo Globe News.

Blashill wanted to know what it would be like to be a pregnant teen on campus. The weekend after Labor Day, she came to school wearing a fake “baby bump” she acquired from the local Motherhood Maternity store. Blashill wore the device for the 4-day school week. With the help of others on staff, she took note of the actions and reactions of others and imagined what it would truly be like to be a pregnant teen.

Her story came out in print in the Silver Streak Newspaper Sept. 27 and went online shortly after. The Amarillo Globe News (AGN) printed a follow-up on the front page of the Amarillo Globe News Oct. 3.  AGN columnist, Jon Mark Beilue’s story can be read at http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2013-10-02/students-experiment-draws-harsh-reactions.

View Comments (2)