A White Christmas

Natasa Dobras, Staff Writer

During the Christmas break, it is very common for students to travel outside of the city. Most will leave to visit family that live in a different city, or take a small vacation. For example, junior Kenzie Srader spent part of her Christmas break skiing, an activity she practices at least once a year.

“I went to Wolf Creek, Colorado,” Srader said. “I stayed in South Fork, with a friend and her family.”

The trip took place over the course of five days. Three of those days were spent skiing, while the other two were designated to driving there and back home.

“I learned to ski six years ago,” Srader said. “My aunt and uncle got married on a mountain so I learned how to ski with them.”

Skiing can be difficult depending on the preference of the person. Since it requires a lot of movement, some people may not enjoy while others will find it simple.

“The best part of my experience was when my tree trail ended up going on a mogul black,” Srader said. “So, I learned how to do moguls, which are bumps in the snow.”

While the main purpose of going to a ski resort is to participate in the activity, it is also a chance to meet people from all across the country.

“I met so many new people,” Srader said. “I met a few guys that go to Tech, an older couple from Chicago, and this guy from Dallas who made us laugh the whole way up the ski lift.”

Although Srader enjoyed her trip, she explains the worst part of the trip was learning how to get out of her comfort zone around these new people. Not only is skiing a fun activity, but it teaches valuable life lessons.

“It is a great experience,” Srader said. “Even if you try it once, and end up hating it, at least you tried it.”