A Fur-ever Love

A schoolteacher's love for animals

Chelsea+Bivens+with+one+of+her+pets.+
Chelsea Bivens with one of her pets.

Chelsea Bivens with one of her pets.

Courtesy Photo

Courtesy Photo

Chelsea Bivens with one of her pets.

Alex Ruiz, Staff Writer

While the average teacher leaves school to go home to a house full of dreadful chores to do or a second job to go to, Forensics teacher Chelsea Bivins comes home to a house full of animals. While most people know someone who has a couple of household pets or an undeniable passion for animals, it most likely does not compare to Bivins’ lifestyle.

Bivins has over 15 various types of animals totaling to over 32 animals in total that she owns with her husband. The creatures vary from household pets like cats and dogs to the more unusual ones like boas and exotic birds. Bivins has previously owned an orchid mantis which is a mantis that originates from Southeast Asia, and she believes the mantis is the weirdest animal she has owned and a prairie dog which she explains is the coolest one she has owned.
The relationship Bivins has towards animals was not sparked over night. Bivins says she does not exactly know when her love began, but she has loved animals since she was a young child. Bivins grew up in a household that valued pets and remembers always having at least one dog in the house while growing up.

“From age 3 to 12 I swore I was going to be a veterinarian,” Bivins said. “I collected little pamphlets called Wildlife Fact Files and read everything I could get my hands on about animals.”

Bivins has had no trouble surrounding herself with individuals that support her passion. She makes it clear that her, and her husband share a similar fondness for animals. She also has friends and family that share an interest in them as well. Her husband often snuggles baby bunnies, plays with their 6 rats, handles snakes, and partakes in many other various tasks that include the creatures.

“My parents live through me when it comes to animals,” Bivins said. “My mom is always fascinated to learn something new about the critters I keep, and she asks about them.”

Bivins has had a lifelong passion for animals, and has plans to continue to take care of them until she can no longer properly do so. While there is no particular animal she wishes to own someday, she does have a dream to try to save as many as she can.

“If I hit the lottery I would try to open up an animal rescue,” Bivins said. “There are so many unwanted pets out there.”

Forensics class is the perfect class for an animal lover like Bivins. Students in her classes are often surprised by the animals she brings from home to the classroom. Bivins and her class have a classroom pet hedgehog named Huff. She also has a tarantula in the room and frequently brings her rats and lets them roam the classroom while the students are completing activities. Bivins lets students interact with these animals because she believes it is therapeutic for students. It also serves as a chance for students to interface with animals they might otherwise not get the opportunity to if it was not for her class. Bivins’ forensics class is an open environment, and she encourages students to stop by and check out her cool critters.

“I have had kids with behavior issues in class completely change their behavior when they have a rat to sit and work with,” Bivins said. “I have seen kids who are having a bad day perk up when a hedgehog is in the room. I also see the animals as a teaching tool. Animals can help with development of social and emotional skills, as well as integrate into lessons as living, tangible examples.”