Remembering the History of Black History Month

Fatimah Dixon, Staff Writer

Although many people have come to know February as a month to celebrate black achievements and remember black history, it did not start this way. Instead, Black History Month began as Black History Week during the second week of February, created by Carter G. Woodson. This particular week was intended to celebrate black achievements because it coincided with the the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. It was due to the 1960’s civil rights movement that the week expanded into a full month celebration largely on college campuses.

Today, Black History Month is still widely celebrated. Illustrating faces of important black men and women on the Google search page, for example, helps people to learn of unheard of black heroes, inventors, etc. As a black female, I look forward to Black History Month each year. I am in constant awe on the amount of important black contributors I learn about throughout the year, and having this month gives me a platform to express this.  

Fatimah Dixon, Staff Writer
Hi! My name is Fatimah Dixon, and I am currently a senior at Randall High School. This is my first year of newspaper, so I am excited to start. The reason I even joined is because I love writing, and it may be something I want to pursue after high school. One of my favorite...