American and National Baseball League Preview

American League ALDS

Twins vs. Yankees
The Minnesota Twins came out on top in a twelve-inning tiebreaker game against the Detroit Tigers, but now they are presented with an even tougher challenge: the 27-time World Series Champion New York Yankees. The Yankees, lead by shortstop Derek Jeter and first basemen Mark Teixeira, scored the most runs of any team in baseball during the regular season. The Twins may have a tough time countering the Yankee offense, as the Twins pitching staff was ranked 23rd in baseball with a 4.50 ERA.
Prediction: Yankees over Twins in three games

Angels vs. Red Sox
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim will face off with the Boston Red Sox in a matchup between two equally fierce teams. The Red Sox are built to win in the postseason, with a pitching staff consisting of Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and Tim Wakefield, along with closer Jonathan Papelbon. However, Angels manager Mike Scioscia’s “small ball” tactics along with a .285 batting average and clean defensive play has the Angels poised to win this series.
Prediction: Angels over Red Sox in five games

National League NLDS

Cardinals vs. Dodgers
The St. Louis Cardinals will look advance one step closer to winning their second World Series of the decade as they take on the Los Angeles Dodgers, who have not won a World Series since 1988. The Dodgers have baseball’s best team ERA at 3.41, despite a relatively young pitching staff. They will look to shut down Cardinals’ first baseman Albert Pujols and outfielder Matt Holliday. The Dodgers lineup will be led by their trio of powerful outfielders in Manny Ramirez, Matt Kemp, and Andre Either. The thing that gives the Cardinals the edge in this series is the top of their pitching rotation. Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright, and Joel Pineiro combined for 51 wins in 2009.
Prediction: Cardinals over Dodgers in five games

Rockies vs. Phillies
The Philadelphia Phillies will try to repeat as World Series champions in 2009. However, the Colorado Rockies were baseball’s hottest team down the stretch, winning 17 games in September. Despite this, the Phillies still have a great shot at winning this series with the leadership of first baseman Ryan Howard and shortstop Jimmy Rollins. This Phillies also made several key mid-season additions to their pitching at the trade deadline, acquiring 2008 Cy Young winner Cliff Lee and later signing veteran Pedro Martinez. Despite a roster filled with few stars, the Rockies still managed to scrap their way to 92 wins, but first baseman Todd Helton and ace pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez aren’t enough to defeat the defending world champion Phillies.
Prediction: Phillies over Rockies in four games