Baseball team makes run for playoffs

The baseball team is currently 4-2 in District with 11 wins and 10 losses. The team competed in three tournaments, Cooper (4-1), Midland (0-5) and Lubbock (3-2).

“The tournaments prepared us to play in all kinds of weather conditions,” baseball coach Cory Hamilton said. “We played in cold, sleet, winds up to 50 miles per hour, and sand blowing everywhere.”

The new season for the baseball team looks optimistic as the lineup becomes more rounded than last season’s. Every player has become essential to the team’s success.

“Every player in our program is important,” Hamilton said. “In a fully functioning team bonded with mutual respect, any player can lead at any given time.”

It’s this capability and potential of every player that Hamilton said was one of the more difficult parts of the season.

“The most challenging aspect of this team has been to get all players enough playing time to allow them to succeed,” Hamilton said. “One of this team’s strength’s is depth, but that means on any given day there is going to be quality players on the bench that are not in the lineup.”

Although the team was ranked no. 5 in Texas last year, the team has not broken into the top ten ranked teams and has met resistance from the Canyon and Frenship teams in district play. Despite this, the team looks expectantly toward future games.

“Our toughest competitor is the game itself,” Hamilton said. “We try not to focus as much on our competition as we do on ourselves. We’ve played a very tough schedule and think it has prepared us for a very tough district race.”