Science Bowl

Junior science bowl members Jessica Harris and Collin Blackwell prepare for competition

Science Bowl is a highly competitive academic competition in which middle and high school students are tested on their math and science abilities. Students who excel in math and science are selected by their teachers to be a part of the team. The topics in the bowl can include biology, chemistry, physics, Earth and space, physical science, and energy. Recently, the Randall science bowl team placed second at a competition and won $500. Only the first in the area moves on to the national competition in Washington D.C. In the meantime, members will be hard at work preparing for next year’s competitions.

Members are divided into 3 different teams- white, silver, and black. Senior science bowl members include Keslie Pharis, Steven Castillo, and Tommy McCurdy, junior members are Jessica Harris, James Migliavacca, Jonathan Hoffman, James Dewey, Blake Phelan, and Collin Blackwell, and sophomore members include Ravyn Denning, Haley Phelan, Jacob Brue, and Christian Hurd. The Science Bowl sponsors are Samantha Usnick, De-Vonna Clark, and Derek West.

“It’s a competition between a bunch of schools in the panhandle,” said junior science bowl member Collin Blackwell. “They basically give hard science questions that you have to be able to answer in 5 seconds or 20 seconds if it’s a bonus question.”

Preparing for the science bowl competition is a long and intense process. It requires hard work, dedication, and many hours spent outside of class.

“Every Wednesday after school we do practices for about an hour where we go through old questions that have popped up in the past,” said Blackwell. “In the simulations we sit in three rows and one of the teachers will read off a question and we have to buzz in to answer it.”

While there are many categories, students may choose to focus on one particular subject and become stronger at it.

“We’re all picking specific areas that we want to specialize in,” said junior science bowl member Jessica Harris. “I’m doing geology, meteorology, and clouds.”

Science bowl is a great opportunity for students who are serious about wanting to pursue a career in the STEM field. Competing against students who are interested in similar areas gives students insight about what their strengths and weaknesses are.

“When you go in, you see a room full of really intelligent people,” said Blackwell. “It can be quite intimidating and humbling.”