Hidden Figures

Paige James, Staff Writer

On Tuesday Jan. 31, Ms. Kraft took her Pre-Calculus classes to see the movie “Hidden Figures”. Each student purchased their ticket for $6.50 and the concession stand was open for students so they could buy snacks and drinks before and during the movie.

Hidden Figures is about a group of female African American mathematicians who were the brains behind one of NASA’s greatest operations. The movie stars Octavia Spencer as Dorothy Vaughan, Janelle Monae as Mary Jackson and Taraji P. Henson as Katherine Johnson.

The movie shows how the three women start towards the bottom of the NASA work force and move up into higher positions along the way. They face a lot of discrimination because of their race and gender, but they overcome it. The movie also depicts some of the challenges the women were faced with outside of the workforce such as not being able to check out a certain library book.

The women along with the other members of NASA, were tasked with sending astronaut John Glenn, played by Glen Powell, into orbit and guarantee him a safe and successful return, which they succeeded in.

Hidden Figures is not only educational, but also entertaining, and even though it is categorized as a drama there are multiple funny moments.