A Raider Returns Home

Getting to Know Principal Steven Singleton

Abigail Hurtt, Editor-In-Chief

Many students were startled when the announcements came on the first day of school and an unfamiliar voice was on the other end. While many students are accustomed to hearing about the latest Dallas Cowboys update, this new and unfamiliar voice wished us a good first day back in class, and disappeared without a single mention of football.

The mysterious man on the announcements is Steven Singleton, Randall High’s new principal. Singleton is not new in Raider territory, but is returning after working as an assistant principal at Canyon High School for six years. Singleton worked at Randall from 2005-2011 as the head softball coach and taught biology, forensics, anatomy and physiology, and world history. Singleton has been in public education for 14 years and previously worked at Bowie and Caprock in addition to Canyon and Randall. Additionally, Singleton spent some time playing for the Amarillo Dillas until he retired in 2004 to pursue education. Because Singleton is no stranger to the Randall campus, he said he feels at home in his new position.

“(As a new principal coming in, the first thing I needed to do was) understand the campus and the demographics of the campus,” Singleton said. “(I needed) to understand the people. So I was so fortunate having worked here six years; that helped me a lot.”

Whether it is in his personal life or at school, Singleton said he always tries to keep the “purpose” for why he is serving at the center of his focus. By having a purpose, Singleton said he hopes to achieve success for the school.

“Before you go to college, before you go anywhere, you have to look at what the symmetry of hope and success is,” Singleton said. “Can I be successful and will I continue to instill hope in those around me? And if you take a position you can’t do that in, you’re already destined to not be successful.”

Singleton said part of his purpose is to focus on individual student needs rather than the student body as a whole. He hopes by targeting individuals, the entire school will thrive.

“Every single student is different,” Singleton said. “To talk about an entire student body is one thing, but to talk about the opportunity to impact each person or focus on each student is what really drives some of my purpose every day. Model, connect, involve, and have a purpose is something I live by every day. We do that so we can impact each kid.”

Any new job comes with its own unique set of challenges and the position of principal is no exception. Not only does a new principal have a learning curve when it comes to more technical aspects of the job, but he also must adapt to the students and staff and the dynamics of the school.

“Everyday there are all these small challenges that come up,” Singleton said. “Whether it’s our construction outside or adding a portable to our campus, or bringing furniture in and turning the library into more of a store-front area where students can hang out and have a cup of coffee or work on their Chromebooks, these changes are challenges. Some are self created, and some are just nature of the job.”

While some students are concerned about potential changes in the rules, Singleton said he is not planning to make changes to things like extended lunch or disciplinary actions as long as students maintain good behavior and do not warrant a need for any major changes. Instead, Singleton said he wants to focus on how we can continue to succeed in an already successful environment.

“If we see a need for something, then obviously we will need to address that,” Singleton said. “(If we do change something) the reason would fall under the categories of school safety or education.” “What are we doing to protect our kids and our investment here on campus? What am I doing to help educate our students, and what can I do to enhance learning in the classroom? That would be the only things that really impacts a decision like that.”

Some students, especially juniors and seniors who are accustomed to a certain way of doing things, are somewhat apprehensive about a change in leadership. Singleton said he encourages these wary students to come and get to know him

“To those who are apprehensive, even though I’m the new principal, (you) have a new principal that cares about kids, is sincere about the learning and the instruction that goes on, and is going to support our programs, athletes, UIL academics, and every student we have on campus to be successful,” Singleton said.

Singleton said his primary goal for the upcoming school year is to continue doing our best as a school community and tackling issues together if they arise. He hopes to maintain a standard of excellence and “bring the heat.” For the student body, Singleton has one message. 

“Continue to be who we have always been, continue to embrace the traditions we’ve always embraced, and show me what you’ve got every day,” he said. “Show me what we do best, and I would like to be a part of that.”

11 Comments

11 Responses to “A Raider Returns Home”

1. Sue Hair on August 31st, 2017 4:38 pm

Both Abigail Hurtt and Mr. Singleton are doing a great job of their jobs, Abigail as the Editor-in-Chief of SilverStreak and Mr. Singleton as RHS principal. This school is blessed.

[Reply]

2. Asher Gonce on September 1st, 2017 10:49 am

He sure is doing a wonderful job so far!

[Reply]

3. Shelby Perkins on September 1st, 2017 10:55 am

Thank you for taking the time to interview our new principal, and informing us that he doesn’t see a need to make any drastic changes as of now.

[Reply]

4. Trey Ritthaler on September 1st, 2017 11:41 am

I as a student was a little worried about having a new principle so soon since I am only a sophomore. But I am very happy with how Mr. Singleton has handle things so far. I really like how he wants to take what we already had and improve it instead of trying to completely change everything. I feel that he is a wonderful guy and I have total confidence in being a great principle.

[Reply]

5. Valerie Cardenas on September 1st, 2017 2:53 pm

I very much enjoyed readying your article. Go raiders!!!!!

[Reply]

6. Elaina Robinson on September 1st, 2017 3:26 pm

A wonderful choice for an article. It is sure to put many minds at ease and the creator should be proud. From the sounds of the article the original interview was successful and very well put together.

[Reply]

7. Aspen Malone on September 1st, 2017 3:33 pm

I’m so glad you included Mr. Singleton’s intentions about extended lunch, and that he’s not going to discard it.

[Reply]

8. Laik Brookshire on September 1st, 2017 10:21 pm

I work in the iConnect center during fifth period in the West Library, which has already been transformed into communications central for students and learning.

[Reply]

9. Hien D. on September 3rd, 2017 2:17 pm

It’s nice to have a different mindset in a principal. Although I’ll miss Mr. Williams, I’m looking forward to the internal improvements that are gonna be going underway.

[Reply]

10. Grace on September 4th, 2017 9:18 pm

I’m very glad our new principal cares and wants to get to know the students and it also helps that he was once a raider and is not changing many things like extended lunch.

[Reply]

11. Joshua Schmitt on September 5th, 2017 10:25 am

Thank you for this article, it brought a sense of relief to mind to hear Mr. Singleton establish his goals for the school.

[Reply]

• A Raider Returns Home

A Wish Come True

• A Raider Returns Home

Teaching Through Traveling

• A Raider Returns Home

A game of logic

• A Raider Returns Home

Canyon ISD, Keeping You Connected

• A Raider Returns Home

Senior to play baseball at University of Arkansas

• A Raider Returns Home

Saying Goodbye

• A Raider Returns Home

News Briefs

UIL Academics

• A Raider Returns Home

Science Bowl

• A Raider Returns Home

Blogs

Eyebrows Speak Louder than Words

• A Raider Returns Home

The Blood Drive

A Raider Returns Home