Summer School to Help Students Accelerate

Natasa Dobras, Staff Writer

Summer school is usually associated with retaking a failed class over the summer, but it can actually be a chance for a student to earn college or high school in advance. This summer, there will be multiple classes available at both Amarillo College and Randall offering students the chance to get ahead.

Amarillo College offers a government class and English Composition I and II which counts as the English IV credit. Both of these classes are strictly online classes with assignments and final exam due dates. The cost for each class is $150, not including additional textbooks required for the class. Students who enroll in AC online classes over the summer are expected to be responsible and keep up with their work. If a student fails the course, he or she will need to retake the class during the school year at Randall. In order to sign up for an AC class, students will need to speak to Lisa Ramsey in 801 East before the end of the school year since the summer courses begin soon.

For students interested in receiving high school credit in advance, courses like BIM, government, economics, and health will be available online. BIM is now a required credit for freshmen and transfer students. The classes for acceleration will begin June 4 to July 27. Students interested in acceleration courses must complete an enrollment form with permission from their vice principal. These courses will also be online and Chromebooks will be offered to students to check out for a $25 fee. During the course of the summer, a help lab will be available during weekdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Randall. Finals for the classes must be scheduled and taken at the help lab before July 27. Although students do receive credit for these classes, they will not be counted towards their GPA or class rank. The government, economics, and health classes will cost $100 and the BIM class will cost $50. All payments should be made through my payments plus. In order to sign up for these classes, students must talk to their counselors or assistant principals.

Receiving credit for mandatory classes over the summer gives students the chance to pursue an elective or extracurricular activity during the school year rather than having to receive their credit through a traditional classroom setting during a full academic period.