Varsity Tennis Season Comes to an End

Back to Article
Back to Article

Varsity Tennis Season Comes to an End

Gretta Alumbaugh and Lauren Tice

The varsity tennis season came to an end yesterday after Abilene Wylie defeated the Raiders 6-10 in the regional quarter finals in Vernon, Texas. 

The Raiders, ranked third in state, were the underdogs going into yesterday’s competition against Wylie, ranked second in state. After getting knocked out of the playoffs in regional quarter finals for the past two years, the Raiders were hoping to get over that hurdle and advance to the next level of play.

Wylie took an early lead winning five of the seven doubles matches. The Raiders tried to regroup for singles competition, knowing that they would have to win eight of the nine singles matches to defeat Wylie and move on in playoffs. The Raiders won four singles matches, and Wylie claimed victory.

Although the fall season has come to an end for the Raiders, they will take the court again later in the school year for Spring competition.

About the Writers
Gretta Alumbaugh, Staff Writer

Gretta Alumbaugh is a senior, and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. Alumbaugh said she wanted to join newspaper because it would look good...

Lauren Tice, Staff Writer

Lauren Tice is a senior, and this is her first year on the newspaper staff. She decided to take the newspaper to see if she would like to go into journalism...