Students find alternative to ‘ordinary’ job options

Many Raiders have a variety of jobs from taking orders at Sonic, bagging groceries at United, or even hosting at Chili’s or Texas Roadhouse, but there are a few students that have jobs that are out of the ordinary.

Senior Isaac Fondaw and junior Chelsea Pullen give a sneak peek into their exceptional jobs.

Fondaw is employed at Agression Paintball, where he referees, helps people to find opponents and helps clean the equipment. Fondaw has been employed with Agression Paintball for 7 months and normally works weekends from open to close.

“I like being able to interact with all of the different people who go and play paintball,” Fondaw said. “I chose to work there because it fits well with my school schedule and allows me to keep my grades up.”

On a typical day he arrives at work before they open and wait for people to walk them to the fields. As people play, he watches for people who get hit. He does maintenance on the paintball guns and makes sure everyone follows the rules. He also says that he’s had to stop several fights and actually send people home. Overall he said the environment is really fun and helped him to love paintball more.

“I will always love paintball because of this job,” Fondaw said. “I never really was interested in it before. I see it not as a game, but a sport. There are things that you don’t know how to do off the top of your head, and in order to be good at paintball, you have to practice every chance you get just like any other sport.”

Junior Chelsea Pullen helps out at her family-owned car dealership, Golden Spread Motorplex. She began working there previously in the summer for a few hours each morning, but now she just helps out.

“I liked that I knew all the people I worked with because they worked for my dad,” Pullen said. “I didn’t like how I didn’t have many hours and how early I had to be there.”

Pullen said that she would recommend this job to anybody who likes desk work and can’t take on many hours. Her tasks included running deposits to the bank, making sure all titles were being picked up, and filing.

“I had to learn all about car titles and working with the customers,” Pullen said. “I loved the environment because I just worked with a few people and I have known most of them my whole life.”