Administration discover cockroach infestation in vending machines

Lately the vending machines in the west commons haven’t been working properly. They’ve been eating students’ money and not distributing items. After many complaints, it didn’t take long to determine the cause: cockroaches.

Earlier this month, the vending machines were opened and roaches spilled out leaving both students and employees gasping at the sight.

“The drought conditions we experienced this summer caused many insects to seek water sources,” CISD Maintenance Director Jeff Milner said. “Most of these areas are of course indoors. Our local chemical suppliers told us they have experienced heavy roach problems throughout the area.”

After finding the roaches, the maintenance department sprayed the school with insecticide and the vending machine company cleaned and repaired the vending machines. Milner said that because the school falls under the state’s pest management protocols, they are limited to how and how often they can treat insect issues.

“Our mandate only allows us to spray on an as needed basis,” Milner said. “In other words, we can’t just spray based on a schedule; evidence of insects must be present before we can spray.”

Roaches can fit in nearly any gap from the size of a dime and up. They often live in warm, dark and damp environments which explains why they decided to inhabit the vending machines.

“I think it’s unsanitary for our school and not good for our health” sophomore Sarah Stewart said. “We get coffee and eat in that area and I don’t want (cockroaches) near my food. That’s disgusting.”

Although Assistant Principal Paul Jolley said he has seen cockroaches around campus recently, the good news is they have been dead or dying. Jolley said this is an indicator that the problem is being taken care of. 

“(Cockroaches) are gross and I’ve actually seen them over the years, but it’s not like they outnumber the students,” Jolley said. “They are hard to get rid of in a school because the outside doors aren’t insulated very well.”

Principal Steve Williams said the insect problem is being taken care of and asked if anyone sees cockroaches on campus in the future to please report it to the front office.

View Comments (3)